Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Journal 7: My Personal Learning Network

Personal Learning Network
As a future teacher, it is important for me to continue being a lifelong learner and collaborate with others. With the use of a Personal Learning Network, I can find resources and people who can help me continue learning. A personal learning network (PLN) is a collection of people who you engage and exchange information with. My PLN continues to grow through the use of Twitter, Facebook, Symbaloo, Classroom 2.0 and Diigo. Through these sites, I am able to connect and exchange resources with people around the world. My PLN will help me continue my journey as a lifelong learner and keep me up-to-date on tools and resources that will help my students succeed.


Twitter
Twitter is an extremely useful tool. It has taken some time for me to get used to, but I have been able to experience how useful it really is. Twitter has allowed to me to connect with other educators, students, and those who are involved in education. They have shared many strategies and websites that I will be able to use in the future. On August 1st, I joined the new teacher chat on twitter. The topic of discussion was “Design Thinking in Your Classroom.” The chat was very structured and fast paced. The chat consisted of questions and answers.  It was a very interesting discussion and I really enjoyed everyone thoughts and opinions. A lot of the educators that were taking part of the chat shared stories from their own personal experiences. The chat will be very beneficial upon becoming a new teacher.

Diigo
Diigo is a social-book marking tool that allows users to access their website bookmarks from an computer. Diigo also lets you share your bookmarks with others. While using Diigo I am able to follow other educators and view what they are sharing. I am currently following students’ in the credential program. I also am following a couple of people whose interest connected with my tags from my bookmarks. This tool will be a great place to share and store resources that I find helpful.

I have also become a member of Classroom 2.0 which is a social network for educators who are interested in education.  While on Classroom 2.0 I explored and read through some of the discussion boards.  The discussion was about how grades are not motivating. Many of the educators that posted to the board discussed implementing video game strategies to increase motivation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment