Monday, August 13, 2012

Journal 9: First Graders with iPads?

Getting, S., & Swainey , K. (2012). First graders with iPads?. Learning and Leading with Technology ,40(1), 24-27. Retrieved from Retrieved from www.iste.org/Store/Product.aspx?ID=2515

Summary: In the article, “First Graders with iPads?” teachers in Minnesots decided to give their first grade students iPads. This big leap of faith immediately outweighed the risks. The iPad was used to increase the reading achievement with their two lowest reading groups. The teachers could really see that the iPads were increasing the students attentiveness. The iPad became a motivational tool for many students who were practicing good behavior. Data was also collect to statistics for the “time on task,” which concluded an increase of 20%. The iPad is a very influential tool it is amazing to see how much improvement occurred in the little amount of time.

Q1: As a prospective Special Education teacher, can I see myself implementing iPads into the classroom?

Answer 1: I can absolutely see this tool being used in Special Education classes. I feel that it would improve the learning immensely. Students can use this not only for reading intervention, but as a communication tool as well. I’m not sure that I will get to use them since they are a bit expensive, but I certainly hope I do one day.

Q2: Should iPads be mandatory in schools?

Answer 2: I truly believe that iPads should be mandatory. I have heard that they would be cheaper to have then the schools having to buy book. I don’t think schools will ever do away with textbooks, but I believe they need to make iPads a mandatory tool used in the classroom. Our world is changing and our schools need to as well. The iPads can be used as motivation for the students.  

1 comment:

  1. And one could imagine that the 'shame on you' comment is
    directed right at Jill. You can also attract twitter followers
    while offline. In other words: you don’t need every Tom, Dick
    and Harry to follow you on Twitter; you need people who are in your niche,
    people who are interested in the product or service you
    are offering.

    My web page; Buy Twitter Followers

    ReplyDelete